- To automate processes.
- To create new dialogs for interacting with the user.
- To derive data from other data.
- To create additional data to extend the regular data, for example to generate the HTML for charts.
- To create new services, which can be used from other scripts, or for example as a web service.
- To perform actions when the user selects a button on an edit form.
- To validate data.
- To perform actions triggered by data changes.
This section covers only server-side scripting. See Web development for browser-based scripting.