How Metrici works
Metrici is a blend of clever data structure, comprehensive web environment, powerful solution definitions and hundreds of pre-built components.
The core of Metrici is a clever data structure. We call it the "node store", and it's based on many of the same ideas as graph databases and triple stores. You can use it to hold any type of data in any structure.
We've extended the basic data storage capability to support:
- Multiple versions of data, to provide a built-in version management capability.
- Calculated data which is automatically kept up to date as the inputs changed. This makes data access much faster.
- Scripting built into the data, to support calculation, new UI components and back-end processing.
- Strong low-level data access security, ensuring all solutions built in Metrici have good security controls.
Metrici provides a comprehensive web environment to run your solution.
As well as looking after the hosting and physical security, the Metrici platform looks after all the basics of a web application – like accounts, users and security. And it provides the web functionality your solution will need, like forms, file uploads and downloads, image handling, rich text editing, and so on, all of which are integrated into the data so that you can use them without coding.
Metrici themes provide rich support for styling your web application. There is a selection of built-in themes, and you can create new themes using the popular Twitter Bootstrap framework.
All Metrici solutions are defined in data, and the definitions are held in the same store as the data.
The solution definition drives a powerful renderer that creates the user interface. This means that there's no need to define a user interface separate from the data. You can start from the data or the UI, and the other is automatically built in step with it, which makes development much easier. The renderer is fully customisable, which means there's no compromise on UI quality.
As far as Metrici is concerned, the definitions are just data, too, and the definitions are defined by other definitions, and so on. Changing how we define the definitions allows Metrici to support different types of development – what we call "unified development". For example, if you want to create a website, Metrici can work like a content management system. If you want to create a database application, Metrici can work like an application development tool. You can work seamlessly across multiple types of development.
Holding definitions in data opens up whole new possibilities. You can create new tools for specialist solutions, or solutions that let users customise data and processing,
Metrici provides hundreds of pre-built components.
- Services that provide all the core functionality that's available through the user interface.
- Services that extend the core capability of the platform, such as email handling, Excel integration, and expert system rule processing, to name just three.
- Front-end (browser-based) components that provide ways to interact with the users, such as editors, charts, pop-ups, and so on.
- Components written in Metrici itself that form the basis of most solutions, such as folder listing, table handling and process management.
You can extend these components and create new ones yourself. You can write new back-end services. You can create new components within Metrici, copying, extending or using the standard ones. You can integrate new front-end components using the powerful theming and styling capabilities.